How Wilson Oruma Battled With Insanity After Being Duped Of N1.2 Billion Naira


There are reports which just surfaced online
that former Golden Eagles Captain/Super
Eagles star player, Wilson Oruma, lost his

mind for two years while battling with
insanity after he was duped by fraudsters
introduced to him by a Lagos-based frontline
Pentecostal Pastor, (name withheld) whose
church (name withheld) is located in the
Surulere area of the state.
In a report by New Telegraph Online,Oruma’s
travail started in 2012 when the Pastor in
question invited the former victorious Golden
Eaglets captain to a private meeting in the
church to discuss the possibility of investing
heavily into what he described as a lucrative
business where he promised to invite the
mega bucks investors to the church a week
later. A date was fixed for this.
It was at the second meeting, it was
gathered that the former Atlanta 96 Olympic
gold medallists was introduced to some well-
dressed gentlemen who were said to be in
possession of some oil blocks they were
ready to sell to the rich ex-international.
Oruma, who acted alone without consultation
with any of his lawyers and his close friend,
Mr. Emakpor Dibofun, believed the story of
the fraudsters and never suspected any foul
play as they were introduced by his Pastor.
He was advised to invest heavily so as to
yield heavy profit. The two-time African
Nations Cup bronze medallist, withdrew
funds from all his investments across Europe
in three months and withdrew his life savings
to ensure he pumped enough money into the
oil business. He did not suspect any foul
play as the Pastor kept assuring him that,
the people are credible and are God fearing
business investors.
In all, Oruma paid a whopping N1.2billion
into the dedicated bank account given to him
to make payments which he did over six
months. The ex-soccer star that played
alongside Frank Ribery and Samir Nasri in
his days at Olympique Marseille FC of France
started suspecting foul play when he did not
hear from the people again and they failed to
pick their mobile phones on days scheduled
for important updates. He ran to his Pastor
for possible succour and reassurance that all
was well, but instead the Pastor rebuffed
Oruma and told him that, he was a full-time
minister of God who knew nothing about oil
business, but only introduced him to those
he believed could help make his business
empire larger.
The Pastor asked if he was involved in the
business dealings all the while and the
answer was a capital no. He thus divorced
himself from any blames leaving the soccer
star to lick his own wounds but he was not
strong enough to withstand the attendant
psychological pressure. A few weeks after
this ordeal, Oruma started behaving funny.
He started talking to himself and had hot
altercations with his wife at their Victoria
Garden City home in Lagos.
It was gathered that, it was after one of the
series of altercations with his wife who
blamed him for the family’s misfortune and
huge loss of money that Oruma busted out of
their home in VGC and stormed a popular
supermarket where he destroyed valuables.
He was wrestled to the floor, with his legs
and hands tied to avoid further destruction.
From this day in 2012, Oruma’s unstable
mind became pronounced. His close friend,
Emakpor with his hands and legs tied took
the soccer star to a church in Warri, Delta
state for spiritual healing. After destroying
valuables in the church, Oruma escaped to
his VGC home in Lagos where he continued
to disturb residents. It was also learnt that
with his unstable mind, he gave out one of
his expensive SUVs worth N14million to a
friend who speedily drove away the vehicle.
To avoid further embarrassments of VGC
residents, Oru-ma’s family agreed to take
him to his Suru-Lere home near Brown
Street in Aguda, Lagos where secret
treatments continued. He was first taken to
the church where he was duped, which was
nearby his Aguda home. Here, the culprit
pastor after some failed attempts to heal the
player advised that he should be taken back
home as Oruma had been hit by a strange
mental illness which defiled all known
The ex-international was tied and closely
monitored in his Aguda home for over one
year as the family sought spiritual healing for
him. The player, who started his football
career at Tamuno Babes FC of Warri, was
not taken to an orthodox mental hospital in
his family’s attempt to conceal his ailment
from the public.
Oruma suffered untold hardship for two years
as his family with the help of his close friend
and former teammate, Emakpor Dibofun, took
him to number Pentecostal churches in Lagos
seeking spiritual healing. The much desired
healing eventually came few weeks ago when
he was given a clean bill of health as he
overcame the mental illness. He has started
walking again as the sores on his legs from
long period of being tied down in one place
are healing fast.
In the words of Oruma’s kid brother, Dominic
a former Golden Eaglets and Flying Eagles
goalkeeper; “Wilson is recovering fast, he
now recognizes his family members and he
has returned to his house in VGC under the
care of his wife. We are very happy about
this. It was not easy seeing him suffer so
much in the last two years after his money
was taken away. We give God the glory for
the gift of healing.
“He has told us not to press charges against
the pastor who brought fraudsters to dupe
him heavily as he said the incident is now in
the past. Another good thing is that all his
properties are intact and most of his major
investments are doing fine.” Oruma was
captain of the Nigeria Under-17 team that
won the 1993 FIFA U-17 World Cup where he
emerged the tournament’s top goal scorer
with six goals. He played 19 international
matches over 11 years for Nigeria and was
part of the team that participated in the
1998 FIFA World Cup, where he scored in the
only appearance he made in the tournament
against Paraguay. He was also a part of the
squad that won the Olympic gold medal in
1996, a year after he debuted for Nigeria.
He played for the Eagles at the 2002 and
2006 Africa Cup of Nations, finishing both
competitions at third place. Oruma played
most of his club career in France, after
arriving at RC Lens in 1994. He was loaned
to Nancy a year after. He returned to Lens
and played in their 1997-98 Ligue 1 title
He moved to Turkish side Samsunspor in
1998 and returned to France one year later
to play for Nîmes. In 2000, he was
transferred to Swiss side Servette, played
two seasons before coming back to France
again, where he played until 2009 for
Sochaux, Marseille and Guingamp, winning
the 2003-04 Coupe de la Ligue with Sochaux
and the 2008-09 Coupe de France title with
Guingamp. The former Nigerian international
announced his retirement from football at the
age of 33 on November 26, 2010.
He last played his international football for
Kavala FC of Greece, before bidding farewell
to football

Like This Article? Please Like Us On FACEBOOK